Friday 15 February 2013

2 Weeks after Radiotherapy

It's been just over 2 weeks since my last dose of radiotherapy and my leg has now reached the peak of soreness. Over the last 14 days it has gradually become more and more red and sore. It's a little like leaving your leg out all day in the hottest sun you can imagine, and getting a really bad sunburn . It has sore red patches and blisters, although I have to say it's not as bad as it looks.

Not a pretty sight !!

I spoke to the Consultant at the Prosthetics Unit at Stanmore Hospital to ask if I could transfer to the Prosthetics Department at Colchester Hospital. He said that this would be no problem as Colchester is a satellite unit and is under his care. This means that I can get my new socket measured and made at Colchester rather than Stanmore. Any medical problems would still be dealt with at Stanmore, but all mechanical settings etc will now be done at Colchester. This will reduce our travelling considerably.

I now have to wait approx another 2-3 weeks in order for my leg to get better and for the slight swelling to go down. Then I can get a new socket made for my leg and get back to some normality. I've been on crutches now since August last year and it will be really nice not to have to use them all the time.

Another update to follow when I get my leg sorted !!



No comments:

Post a Comment