Tuesday, 18 September 2012

Easier than last time !!

I can't believe that I'm sitting here on my bed typing a post for my blog just 24 hours after a fairly major lung operation. Although I didn't feel to good through the nite, I'll explain.

My journey the theater started at 3.30, and on arrival went through the usual procedure with the anaesthetist, which is basically having 2 cannula's put into  put into the back of your hand, and another up on your arm. Then it's lights out until you come round. The next thing I knew was waking up in the recovery room, and I asked the nurse the time, it was 10.00 in the evening. From then on through the night I was constantly waking up and not feeling to good. There was pain in my back where the surgeon had gone in and the ribs had been pulled apart in order to get the lung out. The night seemed to go on for ever, I was constantly wakeing, then sleeping, then waking .......

After what seemed an eternity the lights went on and I found out it was 6.30. In the recovery room there is one nurse to each patient. My nurse was a New Zealand guy about 30ish called Paul, and I have say he was absolutely brilliant. Bearing in mind I'm already restricted  with the amputation, and on top of that I had just come out of surgery, he washed me, changed my gown, and changed the bedding without any problem, a real professional

The recovery room was pretty empty, I think there was only 4 of us in there. I laid there watching what was going on until breakfast arrived. I was starting to feel better so I had a orange juice, a bowl of porridge, and a coffee. By this time it was around 9ish and I asked one of the nurses why it was so quiet. Simple, today there are no operations. Apparently all the surgeons are doing a course or something.

So I started chatting to four of the young nurses. The more I chatted, the better I felt. At 11.00 I was taken up to the High Dependency Unit, and there I gradually started to feel very tired to the point where I was drifting in and out of sleep, and time started to go slow just like the night before. As the day went on I slowly improved and by the time the evening meal came I felt reasonably good.

So I thought I'd do a posting !!!  It may be a lot of Gibbering Rubbish, I don't know, but I'll do more tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Good on you Dave. Don't forget you are allowed to take it easy!
    Lots of love
    Mrs P