Monday 13 August 2012

Milestone No 1

Today I decided to try a different pair of shoes on the leg. Up until now I've been wearing the same pair. So I thought it was time for a change so I popped on a pair of my old trainers and ventured out. Absolute disaster !!  I couldn't walk more than a few steps before the leg decided not to function. I spent nearly an hour walking up and down the access road to our close, gradually improving but still nowhere as good as I had been previously. On my last attempt friends drove into the close to see us so I abandoned the session.

This afternoon I ventured out again, and low and behold I found that I was walking fine with just the occasional blip. So good in fact, that within half an hour I had started to walk without the aid of the walking stick. I did about 4 or 5 walks up and down our road completely unaided. I guess that I had found the confidence and balance required to stop relying on the stick.

Milestone No 1 Completed !!

So tomorrow it's just me and my leg, let's hope it goes well. I'll hopefully get a video and post it for all to see. It may not be the prettiest of walks, but it is me walking unaided. Milestone No 2 is to walk unaided to my local Gym which is about 1/2 mile away. There's a coffee waiting for there for me, so that's the incentive.

Brilliant Day !!

No comments:

Post a Comment